6.21.22 Advocacy Alert: Primary Election #1 Next Week
June 21, 2022
One set of primary elections will take place on Tuesday, June 28. Early voting is open now. Look up your polling place and sample ballot here: (Erie County) (Niagara County). Note that primary elections are only open to voters registered in that party.
Each race is very important, but, perhaps no elected official has more influence on our regional economy than the Governor and their running mate. Also, an efficient County Clerk’s office is essential for both employers and residents. The BNP encourages all members to participate in these elections.
Who is on the Ballot Next Week?
Democratic Nominee for Governor
- Kathy Hochul, incumbent Governor of New York.
- Jumaane Williams, New York City Public Advocate.
- Tom Suozzi, Long Island-based Congressman.
Republican Nominee for Governor
- Lee Zeldin, Long Island-based Congressman.
- Harry Wilson, business executive.
- Rob Astorino, former Westchester County Executive.
- Andrew Giuliani, former Trump administration aide.
Democratic Nominee for Lt. Governor
- Antonio Delgado, incumbent Lt. Governor (Hochul).
- Ana Maria Archila, activist (Williams).
- Diana Reyna, former New York City Councilmember (Suozzi).
Democratic Nominee for Erie County Clerk
- Mickey Kearns, incumbent County Clerk.
- Melissa Hartman, Eden Town Supervisor.
Because a court ruled the Legislature’s district maps were unconstitutional, primaries for U.S. House and State Senate seats will be held on August 23. No Assembly candidates in Erie or Niagara counties face primaries.
The BNP no longer endorses candidates. As we near the General Election in November, the BNP will highlight where candidates stand on the issues that impact our regional economy.
Advocacy Alert: Legislature Plants Budget Flag
The State Senate and Assembly Majorities released their one-house budget proposals. Although the proposals are not yet law, they give a clear indication of how negotiations will go before the April 1 budget deadline.
Advocacy Alert: Climate Crunch Time
With just five weeks to go until the state budget is finalized, time is running out to sound the alarm about the Governor’s energy and climate proposals.
Advocacy Alert: Where BNP Stands on NY Budget
Happy Valentine’s Day. Last week, the BNP hosted it’s annual Legislative Lunch – a chance to share what employers love and what breaks their heart in this year’s state budget.
Advocacy Alert: Employer Takeaways from SOTU
Last night, President Joe Biden delivered his annual State of the Union address to Congress. Much of the speech was spent touting his legislative victories from the previous two years, including the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act and the Chips and Science Act.