The Buffalo Niagara Partnership is the area representative for ATHENA International, a nonprofit that seeks to support, develop, and honor women leaders. The ATHENA Awards® are celebrated around the world in more than 500 communities and 8 countries.
Since 1989, the Partnership has been honored to produce the annual ATHENA Awards® Luncheon, at which finalists for the ATHENA Leadership Award® and the ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award® are honored. Recipients of each award are selected by secret ballot and announced live at the event.
29th Annual ATHENA Awards® Luncheon
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Buffalo Niagara Convention Center
2019 ATHENA Awards® Finalists
Visit our blog to learn more about each of the 2019 finalists.
ATHENA Leadership Award®
The ATHENA Leadership Award® honors an exceptional individual who has achieved the highest level of professional excellence, contributed time and energy to improve the quality of life for others in the community, and actively assisted others—particularly women—in realizing their full leadership potential.
2019 Finalists are:
- Teresa Bair, Senior Vice President, Administration & Legal Affairs, Athenex, Inc.
- Bridget Bartolone, CEO, Person Centered Services
- JoAnn Falletta, Music Director, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Kristin Klein Wheaton, Partner, Goldberg Segalla
- Marnie LaVigne, President & CEO, LaunchNY
- Nora McGuire, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer, Independent Health
- Tamara Owen, President, Olmsted Center for Sight
- Susan Roney, Partner, Nixon Peabody LLC
- Rupa Shanmugam, President & CEO, SoPark Corporation
- Gail Tylec, Professor, Niagara County Community College
ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award®
The ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award® honors an emerging leader who demonstrates excellence, creativity, and initiative in their business or profession, contributes time and energy to improving the quality of life for others, and serves as a role model for young women personally and professionally. Nominees must be under the age of 40.
2019 Finalists are:
- Esther Annan, Program Director, Say Yes to Education Buffalo
- Kara Burke, Vice President Innovation & Growth, Rich Products
- Emily Burns Perryman, Director of Marketing & Public Relations, Trocaire College
- Anna-Lesa Calvert, Executive Director, Algonquin Sports for Kids, Inc.
- Amanda Coniglio, President & Owner, Cavalry Safety & Security Services
- Anne Joynt, Junior Partner, Lipsitz & Ponterio, LLC
- Jenna Koch, Human Resources Business Partner, Catholic Health and President, City of Tonawanda Common Council
- Katie Krawczyk, President, 19 Ideas
- Lori Overdorf, Director of Development & Youth Services, Valley Community Association
- Katie Rozsa, Senior Manager, Audit, KPMG
2018 ATHENA Awards® Recipients
On Tuesday, June 5th, in front of a crowd of 600+ at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center, we celebrated the 14 finalists and announced the two recipients of the 2018 ATHENA Awards.®
The 2018 recipients are:
- Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul – 2018 ATHENA Leadership Award®
- Mary Owusu – 2018 ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award®
For a full list of all previous ATHENA Awards® recipients, click here.
ATHENA Awards® Honorary Steering Committee
Assembly Member | New York State Assembly
SVP, District Manager | Northwest Bank
Steering Committee Members:
Kari Root Bonaro
Director of Communications & External Affairs | Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
Ann M. Brooker
Specialty Product Manager | The Buffalo News
President | D’Youville College
Donna L. DeCarolis
President | National Fuel Gas Company
President and Managing Member | Hurwitz & Fine, P.C.
President and CEO | People, Inc.
President & CEO Seneca | Gaming Corporation
VP, Digital Strategy & Analytics | Mower
President and CEO | Performance Management Partners
Amy Habib Rittling
Partner | Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman, LLP
Manager, Marketing & Creative Services | Catholic Health
Thank you to the sponsors of our 29th Annual ATHENA Awards Luncheon: