The Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into federal law in 2014 and is designed to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market, and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy.
The WIOA creates a more streamlined workforce development system by:
- Eliminating 15 existing programs
- Creating standard performance measures to every federal workforce program under the Act
- Supporting the transition to post-secondary education, training and/or employment
- Evaluating adult education activities
- Creating smaller and more strategic state and local workforce development boards
- Aligning disability programs in order to decrease unemployment rates for individuals with disabilities
- Creating workforce development strategies and provisions which support professional development
The WIOA will enable both the nation and the Buffalo Niagara region to build an educated and well-prepared workforce for the future.