Buffalo Niagara’s physical growth and development is a critical component towards a revitalized and economically sustainable future. Since 1970, our region’s urbanized land area has grown by 78% while we lost 16% of our population; this equation must change if we are to be an affordable place to live, work and do business.
Our mission includes:
- Make Buffalo Niagara attractive for businesses to grow and expand
- Foster the development of diverse, vibrant communities that can retain and attract people to the region
- Make efficient use of existing resources by directing development to areas already served by infrastructure, transit and public services
- Support assistance for development projects to encourage private investment and create new programs to help address community needs
- Establish a collaborative planning environment where design and development honors and preserves our region’s history while also providing the opportunities to establish a new legacy
Top Initiatives for 2019:
- Oppose expansion of prevailing wage mandate on private projects
- Reform the Scaffold Law by replacing absolute liability with a comparative negligence standard, allowing liability to be apportioned based on fault—the standard that exists in every state except New York
- Maintain and strengthen Erie County Industrial Development Agency’s existing Adaptive Reuse policy
- Oppose mandated inclusionary zoning on development projects in Buffalo
- Establish an incentive program to stimulate infill development in downtown Buffalo to help build walkable, complete neighborhoods
Best Practices & Learning
- Using infill development to achieve smart growth
- Leveraging Opportunity Zone program
- Creating density through place-based infrastructure
- IDA policy review and action
- Downtown Buffalo housing market
- Buffalo Building Reuse Project
- City of Buffalo Housing Opportunities Strategy
- Insider tours of unique sites important to the region’s development
The Partnership’s Development Advisory Council provides the opportunity for diverse and often competing practitioners in the real estate and development industries to join with a unified voice to advocate for sustainable policy and projects that can help revitalize Buffalo Niagara.
Working with the Partnership provides my company a seat at the table as part of the private sector’s voice in economic development, advocating for stronger communities throughout the region.
Benjamin N. Obletz
Council Vice Chair
First Amherst Development
- Tompkins Bank of Castile
- LaBella Associates, D.P.C.
- Parkitects, Inc.
- First Amherst Development Group
- Montante Development Group LLC
- Schneider Development, LLC
- Uniland Development Company
- RP Oak Hill Building Company Inc.
- Great Lakes Environment & Safety Consulting, Inc.
- Five Star Bank
- Ecology & Environment, Inc.
- Hamister Group, LLC
- C&S Companies
- Foit-Albert Assoc., Architecture, Engineering & Surveying, PC
- Wells Fargo
- Penman Development Partners, LLC
- Watts Architecture & Engineering, P.C.
- Cannon Heyman & Weiss, LLP
- Arc Building Partners LLC.
- West Side & Black Rock-Riverside Neighborhood & Housing Services
- Hodgson Russ LLP
- Benderson Development Company, LLC
- Gerald Kelly Capital Corp.
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership
- DiDonato Associates
- Cannon Design
- Greater Buffalo Niagara Regional Transportation Council
- Barclay Damon, LLP
- Sonwil Distribution Center, Inc.
- Seneca Gaming Corporation
- Chason Affinity
- LeChase Construction Services, LLC
- AMD Environmental Consultants
- Construction Exchange of Buffalo & WNY Inc.
- OSEA (Occupational Safety and Environmental Associates)
- Joey Kuebler Landscape Architect, P.C.
- Evergreen Health Services
- M&T Bank
- Greenman-Pedersen Inc.
- National Grid
- Encorus Group
- Hurwtiz & Fine P.C.
- Fray Electric Construction Co., Inc.
- Hopkins Sorgi & Romanowski PLLC
- Bank on Buffalo
- Renewal Housing Corp.
- Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
- Sinatra & Company Real Estate
- The Community Preservation Corp.
- Benchmark Management Corporation
- Iskalo Development Corp.
- Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation
- Priam Enterprises, LLC
- Carmina Wood Morris, DPC
- The Krog Corp.
- Signature Development
- Bond, Shoeneck & King PLLC
- T.Y. Lin International Group
- Blue Cardinal Capital
- CBRE Buffalo
- Turner Construction Co.
- Benchmark Environmental Engineering & Science PLLC
- Nussbaumer & Clarke, Inc.
- Clark Patterson Lee
- The Whiting Turner Contracting Company
- Hanna Commercial Real Estate
Thank You To Our Sponsors
- ARC BUILDING PARTNERS, LLC
- CBRE BUFFALO LLC
- CONSTRUCTION EXCHANGE OF BUFFALO & WNY
- LABELLA ASSOCIATES, D.P.C.
- LECHASE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, LLC
- MODERN DISPOSAL SERVICES, INC.
- NATIONAL GRID
- T.Y. LIN INTERNATIONAL