Buffalo Niagara’s physical growth and development is a critical component towards a revitalized and economically sustainable future. Since 1970, our region’s urbanized land area has grown by 78% while we lost 16% of our population; this equation must change if we are to be an affordable place to live, work and do business.
The Development Advisory Council is a broad cross-section of leading development and real estate professionals in Western New York who aim to support policy, collaboration, and educational opportunities around the sustainable redevelopment of Buffalo Niagara in the vision of One Region Forward. Tenants of this vision include the revitalization of a region attractive to new businesses and population, reinvestment into existing communities to create walkable, sustainable neighborhoods, the preservation of the region’s natural resources, and the provision of exceptional and diverse qualities of life.
Our mission includes:
- Make Buffalo Niagara attractive for businesses to grow and expand
- Foster the development of diverse, vibrant communities that can retain and attract people to the region
- Make efficient use of existing resources by directing development to areas already served by infrastructure, transit and public services
- Provide assistance for development projects that offer access and opportunities to underserved and disenfranchised populations
- Establish a collaborative planning environment where design and development honors and preserves our region’s history while also providing the opportunities to establish a new legacy
Top Initiatives for 2018:
- Oppose expansion of prevailing wage mandate on private projects
- Support reform to the Scaffold Law
- Maintain and strengthen Erie County Industrial Development Agency’s existing Adaptive Reuse Policy
- Oppose mandated Inclusionary Zoning on development projects in the City of Buffalo
Best Practices & Learning
- Alternative Housing Financing
- Placed-based infrastructure best practices
- Creating places for millennials
- City of Buffalo Housing Opportunities Strategy
- 1RF Urban Centers
- Insider tours of unique sites important to the region’s development
The Partnership’s Development Advisory Council provides the opportunity for diverse and often competing practitioners in the real estate and development industries to join with a unified voice to advocate for sustainable policy and projects that can help revitalize Buffalo Niagara.
Working with the Partnership provides my company a seat at the table as part of the private sector’s voice in economic development, advocating for stronger communities throughout the region.
Benjamin N. Obletz
Council Vice Chair
First Amherst Development
Thank You To Our Sponsors
- CBRE BUFFALO LLC
- CONSTRUCTION EXCHANGE OF BUFFALO & WNY
- LABELLA ASSOCIATES, D.P.C.
- LECHASE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, LLC
- NATIONAL GRID
- PARKITECTS, INC.