SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Director of Economic Development leads the Partnership’s economic development work with and on behalf of its members. This position manages the Partnership’s economic development Councils, working directly with member companies to advance key issues to the benefit of specific employers and industries, as well as the regional economy. This position plays a leading role in advocating the Partnership’s position on economic development issues impacting our community and uses the organization’s influence to push for policies and practices encouraging job creation and private investment.
1) Economic Councils:
Management and strategic leadership of the Partnership’s Economic Councils, including: establishing annual programming and business goals, leading the respective executive committees in identifying and developing meeting content prior to start of programming year, executing quarterly Council meetings to provide optimal member experience, nurturing member engagement to ensure strong Council meeting attendance and sponsorship revenue, managing Council’s Executive-In-Residence (where applicable), communicating on key issues outside of scheduled meetings including driving Council newsletter content and identifying methods to educate members on topical matters outside of scheduled meetings.
2) Economic Development Public Policy:
Lead the Partnership’s work related to economic development public policy and regional development. Help drive the Partnership’s role on the Erie County Industrial Development Agency and Buffalo Urban Development Corporation. Maintain positive, constructive relationships with and among government and institutional entities critical to development – including providing technical assistance when necessary. Assist Partnership members with navigating local economic development organizations.
3) Work with the VP for Government Affairs in identifying policy priorities for inclusion in the Partnership’s annual Advocacy Agenda, as well as issue response, education and strategy at the federal, state ad local level.
4) Work in tandem with the Partnership’s Member Services team to meet with regional employers (members and non) to identify and address impediments to and opportunities for their growth.
5) Represent the Partnership and maintain connection to mission critical coalitions, industry groups, and organizations to advance regional initiatives/projects and minimize duplication of efforts.
6) Plan and execute (in conjunction with events staff) events that advance the Partnership’s economic development agenda and generate revenue for the organization.
7) Produce topical content (whitepapers, reports, blogs) to educate members/public on key issues central to Partnership’s economic development agenda/goals.
8) Other specific, agreed upon regional development duties as assigned by the VP for Government Affairs/President & CEO.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Director of Economic Development must have a strong working knowledge of economic development policies and practices, business development and an understanding of government and politics, especially in local and state affairs. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are needed. Must be extremely well organized, an effective delegator, an active listener and possess the ability to multi-task. Ability to approach all work with member focus and private sector/employer lens is paramount.
A bachelor’s degree and minimum of seven to ten years’ experience required in economic development, public policy, government or communications.Apply Here