May 5 was a busy day for the manufacturing industry, as it featured two important events: the Manufacturing Alliance of New York’s Manufacturing Day in Albany and Business First’s 2015 Manufacturing Awards.
Both events turned out to be a great success for WNY manufacturers and our Partnership manufacturing members.
Our coalition was made up of industry leaders from across the state.
We met with several state legislators and industry experts to express the needs of manufacturers throughout New York.
Throughout the course of the day, we met with five legislators (who were chosen due to their relevant committee assignments,) including:
- Senator George Amedore
- Senator Rich Funke
- Senator Thomas O’Mara
- Assemblywoman Shelley Mayer
- Assemblyman Kenneth Zebrowski
We discussed workforce issues and how we can address the growing skills gap and worker shortages that currently exist.
Overall, Manufacturing Day was a success and I look forward to continuing to collaborate with the Manufacturers Alliance of New York to advocate to address our members’ needs.
However, it wasn’t just our Manufacturing Day efforts in Albany that were successful last week.
Partnership members had a tremendous turnout and were well represented at the 2015 Manufacturing Awards, taking home 13 of the 22 awards overall.
Congratulations to the following Partnership members who received awards:
- Sealing Devices (General Excellence)
- McGard LLC (General Excellence)
- J.M. Smucker/Big Heart Pet Brands (Sustainability)
- Boston Valley Terra Cotta (Sustainability)
- Rigidized Metals Corp. (Family-Run Manufacturing)
- Eastman Machine Co. (Family-Run Manufacturing)
- Harmac Medical Products Inc. (Community Involvement)
- Dynabrade Inc. (Exporting)
- TRS Packaging/TMP Technologies (Operational Excellence)
- Staub Machine Co. Inc. (Operational Excellence)
- General Motors Tonawanda Engine (Operational Excellence)
- Power Drives Inc. (Dream It, Do It)
- STI-CO Industries Inc. (Innovation)
It is clear to see that when manufacturing excels in Western New York, the entire community benefits.
I look forward to continued success in the efforts of our expanded Manufacturers’ Council.
If you are interested in joining or sponsoring the council, please contact your Member Services Representative.
To learn more about the council and it’s benefits, read our blog detailing 5 reasons to join the council.