Written by: Nora McGuire, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer, Independent Health
Independent Health currently partners with various local organizations and businesses to offer programs and activities that encourage people to get active and adopt healthy behaviors. Here’s just a sample of what we’re doing to create a culture of health in Western New York:
- Independent Health has joined forces with Shared Mobility, Inc. to launch Reddy Bikeshare. Through this unique program, 200 GPS-enabled bicycles will be available for short-term use at hubs located around Buffalo this summer. People can use these bikes to explore the city or ride along the waterfront. Discounts on annual memberships are available to Independent Health members. Learn more at reddybikeshare.com.
- Independent Health is proud to be the official “Health & Wellness Partner” for Buffalo RiverWorks. As part of this new partnership, Independent Health members receive discounts for many of the health and wellness-related activities RiverWorks hosts, such as paddle boarding, kayaking, pickle ball and more. In addition, Healthy Options® menu items are available at the food concessions and in the restaurant at RiverWorks and all Pearl Street Properties. For additional information, go to buffaloriverworks.com.
- In conjunction with YMCA Buffalo Niagara, Independent Health offers Fitness in the Parks, a free weekly exercise program open to the entire community during the summer. Participants can enjoy Pilates, Yoga and Zumba® taught by YMCA-certified instructors at parks throughout Western New York. Visit independenthealth.com/fitpark to view a schedule and list of participating parks.
- Independent Health has teamed up with the Buffalo Bills on a community-wide initiative called the Independent Health and Buffalo Bills Health & Wellness Challenge, which features fun and easy activities that encourage physical activity and healthy eating. Participants have the opportunity to win fantastic prizes, too. The next Health & Wellness Challenge will take place this fall. You can register at buffalobills.com/thechallenge.
- Independent Health sponsors Slow Roll Buffalo, a free group bicycle ride that meets every Monday night now through October at different venues around Buffalo and takes a unique route throughout the city. All ages, skill levels and bicycles are welcome. A complete schedule is at slowrollbuffalo.org.
A list of all the community programs and events Independent Health offers and/or supports can be found at independenthealth.com/events. From area races and family fun initiatives, to healthy cooking classes and educational programs, we invite you to do your part to help improve the health and vitality of our region.
Disclaimer: The above commentary entails the views of the author and not necessarily the views of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership.