The Buffalo Niagara Partnership is pleased to present the 2019 BN360 Spotlight Professionals, sponsored by Alpine Films. Each year, BN360 highlights 12 up-and-coming young professionals who strive for professional growth and development, care for their community, and are passionate about the future of the Buffalo Niagara region. Meet Kimberly Brown, the Spotlight Professional for December 2019.
Executive Director | Community Access Services
Kimberly Brown is the Executive Director of the non-profit organization Community Access Services. Community Access Services is committed to addressing the epidemic of HIV and other diseases that challenge the welfare of urban communities in Buffalo and Erie County. The organization assures the availability of comprehensive care services, including prevention education and treatment.
As the Executive Director, Kimberly is responsible for strategic planning, supervising and coordinating the programs and activities of the organization and its grant-funded programs. With over 12 years experience in the non-profit industry, Kimberly has dedicated her professional career to services that enhance the well-being of communities.
First Job Out of School:
Bank Teller at M&T Bank
Greatest Professional Win:
Each day is a gift. I’ve learned to use each day as an opportunity to achieve success. I believe that I am still working toward my greatest professional success. Daily I strive to give more of myself to my team and the community. I believe that each opportunity that I have to serve my community pushes me a step closer.
Best Piece of Professional Advice:
“ The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
- Board of Branch Managers William Emslie YMCA
- Say Yes Buffalo Scholar Mentor
- 2nd Chances Services, Inc. Volunteer
- Catholic Health Systems “Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby” Advisory Committee
Greatest Hope for the Buffalo Niagara Region:
It has been a breath of fresh air to watch the region grow and expand. I was born and raised in Buffalo, therefore I have a great sense of pride for the efforts being made to revitalize the area. It is my hope to see continued growth for the region, especially in service areas for under-served populations, such as communities of color and those plagued by homelessness.
On Being a BN360 Spotlight Professional:
It is a true honor to be selected as a Spotlight Professional. I try to meet each day with the hopes of encouraging and empowering those around me whether it be my peers, colleagues or clients served to live their best healthy life. Not for recognition or pay, but because I care very much for the community that I live and work in. You never know who is watching you and to be recognized as a rising leader is surreal. This opportunity has provided me with the ability to challenge my own limits and learn from other individuals who are dedicated to serving the community in an impactful way.
Kim’s Top 5 Favorites:
- Go to “Buffalo” Food: You would be remised to not enjoy a chicken wing in Buffalo. My go to flavor is Spicy Lemon Pepper, I mean this is the home of the chicken wing.
- Best Buffalo Hidden Gem: Japanese Garden of Buffalo
- Favorite Mural: Freedom Wall – Michigan Street African American Heritage Corridor
- Best Buffalo Activity/Hobby: I love all things food, so I really enjoy the Summer Food Truck events. Buffalo is known for its great food and I try to eat as much of it as possible.
- Place you would take someone new to Buffalo: Niagara Falls, everyone must experience them at least once in their life.