The Buffalo Niagara Partnership is pleased to present the 2020 BN360 Spotlight Professionals.
Each year, BN360 highlights 12 up-and-coming young professionals who strive for professional growth and development, care for their community, and are passionate about the future of the Buffalo Niagara region.
Darnell James Haywood, Jr.
Community Office Assistant Manager | BankonBuffalo, a division of CNB Bank
Darnell J. Haywood, Jr. is the Community Office Assistant Manager at BankOnBuffalo, a division of CNB Bank. In his role, Darnell’s primary responsibilities center on customer development, compliance and regulatory, and employment development. Recently, Darnell has been turning his attention toward the community, focusing on investing and engaging people locally about banking.
Darnell was born in St. Louis, Missouri, but came to call Buffalo home at a young age. A Bryant & Stratton College alum, Darnell holds an Associate Degree in Human Resource Management and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration.
First Job Out of School:
Darnell’s first work experience was at his church, Greater Refuge Temple, at the age of 14. He served as an Office Administrator, until the age of 18, learning clerical, payroll, HR, and supervisory skills.
Greatest Professional Win:
I live by a saying that has stuck with me for years: “Pursue Excellence until Excellence is Achieved”
Best Piece of Professional Advice:
“I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and terrify me.” -Tracie Ellis Ross
I used to stress about the goals I wanted to achieve Now, I work to inspire myself along with my support system to work harder.
Darnell is an active member of the Buffalo Niagara community. He has been recognized and contributed in the following ways:
- Buffalo Business First, 30 Under 30 – Honoree
- Beau Fleuve Foundation – Board of Advisors, Treasurer
- Black Achievers of WNY – Honoree
- Black Achievers of WNY Museum – Board Member
- Buffalo Urban League Young Professionals – Treasurer
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership Diversity & Inclusion Council – Council Member
- Junior Achievers of WNY – Mentor
- National Urban League Project Ready – Board Member
- Persistence Preparatory Academy – Board Member
- SayYes Buffalo – Mentor
- WNY Diversity/Inclusion Council – Council Member
Thoughts on living and working in Buffalo Niagara:
There is a new mural that says “Keep Buffalo A Secret”. There is so much opportunity and room in our community for anyone that currently calls Buffalo home or anyone looking to call Buffalo home. I have traveled around the country to bigger metropolitan areas, and minus the snow, there’s no place like home.
On Being a BN360 Spotlight Professional:
I am truly honored to be among the current and past BN360 Spotlight Professionals. It feels great for individuals to see what you are doing in and around the community. I am grateful for my family, friends, and community for all they do to support me.
Top 5 Favorites:
- Favorite Mural: The Northland Pattern Wall, inside the Northland Workforce Training Center
- Best Buffalo Hidden Gem: Central Terminal
- Go-to Buffalo Food: CHICKEN WINGS!! But Kostas for a Chicken Souvlaki
- Best Buffalo Activity/Hobby: Summer Time Festivals (Taste of Buffalo/ Beau Fleuve Music & Arts Festival)
- Place you would take someone new to Buffalo: Everyone that visits the Buffalo/Niagara region should see Niagara Falls