Situated south of Toronto and next to Hamilton and Niagara, the Buffalo Niagara region is the international gateway between the world’s two largest trading partners. This Bi-National Region encompasses a population of over 8 million and generates a GDP of over $400 billion. With a variety of industries contributing to this growth, the economic relationship between Canada and the United States is only projected to grow. Companies on both sides of the border can look to the Council to help navigate the numerous international business opportunities available.
The Buffalo Niagara Partnership is strengthening the footprint of our international region. In 2017, we signed an agreement with the Chambers of Commerce in the City of Hamilton and the Greater Niagara Region, Ontario, to offer reciprocal membership benefits to members of all three Chambers. Learn more about the agreement here.
The CanAm Council is a cross-industry collaboration of business leaders focused on developing our region’s cross-border economy. The Council seeks to eliminate barriers related to the international border and strengthen ties with the Southern Ontario business community to further develop our bi-national economy.
Our mission includes:
- Advocate for more efficient operations of Buffalo Niagara’s international bridges
- Cultivate collaborative business relationship opportunities with Canadian companies through networking targeted programming
- Coordinate and strengthen relationships with Southern Ontario economic development organizations
- Support the efforts of the Great Lakes Metro Chambers Coalition and the Council of the Great Lakes Region to grow the bi-national region
- Promote economic growth through programming targeted to Canadian companies interested in cross-border trade
Top Initiatives for 2018:
- Strengthen our bi-national economy through NAFTA renegotiation
- Maximize border efficiency
- Maintain visas necessary for cross-border business
- Advance regulatory harmonization
- Sufficient staffing of customs agents in both Canada and the United States during the Peace Bridge rehabilitation project
- CanAm Now – Event focused on business opportunities in our bi-national region
- NEXUS Niagara Campaign
- Cross-Border Business Network – A bi-national online business directory
Best Practices & Learning
- CanAm Council Roadshow – Council meetings at key industry locations on both sides of the border, including tours of significant economic development facilities, projects and initiatives
As a leader and facilitator of cross-border education, networking, relationship building and advocacy, the CanAm Council is a valuable resource for companies seeking to succeed on both sides of the Canada - United States border. The Buffalo Niagara Partnership staff, along with Council members, provide a critical support network of cross-border expertise and gainful contacts for business activity. We at the enabling ideas™ Community of experts consider the Council to be a valued strategic relationship and asset to our organization.
The CanAm Council is an integral piece of the Canadian-American business discussion. Comprised of companies from both sides of the border, it combines policy communication, advocacy development, and business to business networking. The Council allows those interested in cross-border business to evaluate the market – from policy requirements to business connections – before entering into it fully. Because of the Council, Canadian and American companies can now convene for meaningful discussion aimed at developing greater economic opportunities for the region.
Hodgson Russ LLP
Executive In Residence
Thank You To Our Sponsors
ANDREOZZI BLUESTEIN LLP